This is for a full-time position in Santa Clara, CA for one electrical engineer to design, develop, and test electronic products for the electric utility grid from concept to manufacturing and provide support to end of life.
- Work with other engineers and product management team to establish requirements and help develop PRDs.
- Designing and simulating power/analog and digital circuits against established requirements and functionality, while accounting for impact of parasitics and non-idealities in the operating behavior.
- Selection of passive components such as capacitor, resistors and inductors, and sizing and de-rating per industry standard for operation in harsh environments.
- Establishing requirements and deriving design parameters for custom components such as magnetics for long life and high reliability.
- Selection of semiconductor devices such as SCRs, MOSFETs, diodes and sizing and de-rating per industry standard for operation in harsh environment.
- Define and help design embedded firmware for microcontrollers in optimally controlling semiconductor and electromechanical devices.
- Help carry out PCB design effort that include:
- Schematic capture of electrical designs.
- Design PCBs with industry standard (IEC/UL/IEEE) approved creepage/clearance distances for components and traces while ensuring PCBAs are designed for manufacturability (DFM), testability (DFT), reliability (DFR), and cost (DFC).
- Design PCBAs with thermal considerations such as having adequate trace size, thermal relief vias, and optimal placement of components.
- Design PCBAs with mixed signal (analog and digital) traces and ensuring signal integrity is maintained at all speeds.
- Carry out system and sub-system design validation testing (DVT) for new electrical designs or changes to existing design with operating voltage spanning 120 – 480VAC using oscilloscopes and power meters.
- Carry out reliability testing efforts to validate new design or design changes are in compliance with long life and reliability.
- Help carry out industry certification testing efforts such as the ones defined by FCC, CE, CSA.
BS, or MS in Electrical or Computer Engineering with minimum 3 years of work experience in related areas
- Solid 3+ years of experience with taking a product from concept to volume manufacturing with comprehensive testing and qualification experience against industrial and utility standards.
- Understanding and working knowledge of characteristics of magnetics, capacitors, and semiconductor devices such MOSFETs, SCRs/Thyristors.
- Experience in developing test fixtures for electronics, power, digital design, and related areas.
- Experience designing PCBAs with microcontrollers and DSPs.
- Understanding and working experience in designing for manufacturability (DFM), for testability (DFT), reliability (DFR), and cost (DFC).
- Write engineering requirements, test plans, and validation reports.
- Possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges.
- Experience with test equipment like oscilloscopes, function generators, data acquisition devices and programmable environmental chambers.
- Schematic capture & simulation: OrCAD/PSpice, Matlab/Simulink
- Circuit analysis: power dissipation, stress, isolation & grounding, EMI & RFI shielding techniques.
- Scripting skills: Python, Matlab